HYPATIA is the Cloud infrastructure that has been developed to support the computational needs of the ELIXIR-GR community
, but also the broader community of life scientists in Greece and abroad. It currently hosts important ELIXIR-GR services and resource (e.g., the national COVID19 Data Portal of Greece
), while it undertakes computational tasks in the context of various projects of ELIXIR-GR members.
The infrastructure is named by Hypatia (Ὑπατία)
, a Greek philosopher, astronomer, and mathematician, who lived in Alexandria, Egypt (born circa 350-370AD; died in 415AD).
Under the hood, HYPATIA consists of a powerful computational cluster of heterogeneous physical machines. Currently, the HYPATIA’s cluster is comprised of:
- 32 basic nodes: (2 CPUs, 14 cores/CPU, 512GB DDR4 RAM).
- 2 hefty nodes: (2 CPUs, 24 cores/CPU, 1TB DDR4 RAM)
- 3 GPU nodes: (2 CPUs, 14 cores/CPU, 768GB DDR4 RAM, 2 GPUs)
- 8 I/O nodes: (2 CPUs, 14 cores/CPU, 512GB DDR4 RAM, 2x2TB SSD 6G)
- 9 infrastructure nodes:(2 CPUs, 14 cores/CPU, 192GB DDR4 RAM)